Here is what will probably be the an initial of several book of Mormon Wordprint analysis posts, based on a database I put together and also curiosity I’ve had for many years about “voices” in the book of Mormon. Book of Mormon computer studies room fascinating come me, and also I believe in the future they will be crucial to understanding publication of Mormon origins.
You are watching: How many words are in the book of mormon
1. Ns excluded Isaiah and also Malachi portions.
2. Every verse is a record across the bottom axis, ie 6006 non-Isaiah verses in BOM.
3. The y-axis represents: the complete count that the specified expression / total word counting in the verse, smoothed by 21 records. Ie the calculation for the word “the” for Alma 16:11 (record #1271 ~ above the x-axis) would certainly be the total instances of words “the” because that the 10 verses prior, the verse, and also 10 verses after, from Alma 16:1 – Alma 16:21, divided by the total words in those 21 verses. Or 123/1007 = 0.1221. Why? ns played roughly with it till I felt favor it was sufficient of a smoothing to show the trend, yet not too much to determine the ar of the hits and the inflammation points.
4. Choice of phrases: ns selected phrases 1) indigenous prior Wordprint studies 2) where analysis showed there to be something distinct around the data circulation which could give understanding into authorship.
I decided to order these after the priority of Mosiah theory that mirrors that Joseph Smith, after losing the 116 pages, kept going starting with Mosiah, and then went earlier after finishing Moroni, and started over through 1 Nephi.
Disclaimer and warning: a) I’m simply a hobbyist that’s good with databases yet not strong enough in statistics to try any actual statistical studies. B) I have actually a deep love and wonder for the strength of the book of Mormon in that doctrine, ability to inspire, and also complexity, yet I do not think it is an old record. My ideal explanation for the book of Mormon is that it is a publication length midrash commentary of the holy bible by Joseph Smith v his communication with the divine, as described by Greg Prince. C) For plenty of reasons (mostly the the book seems too complicated for Joseph to have written himself) I’m enamored with the idea that Joseph Smith take it a book like what is theorized in the Spaulding-Rigdon theory, as the base of the book of Mormon, yet I completely acknowledge the implausibility of such theories. D) I’m a data lover, and love come analyze and let data speak for itself, but I admit my findings could be biased by my preconceptions, so i invite rather to look at this same data come look for fads and carry out theories.
This is what I watch in the data:
1. Similar to the Larsen Rencher BYU examine in 1982, I see what appears to be distinct voices in the book of Mormon. I view the Mosiah-Alma chapters as distinctive from Nephi. And I see Moroni’s voice having crossover to both Nephi and also the prior huge plates voice, comparable to what is shown in this graphic from your study.
2. Similar to what Brent Metcalfe showed and also Chris Smith depicted in this graphic, I think there’s a certain form of tendency that goes across voices that merely trends through the publication of Mormon translation period start to end.
3. The largest distinction is little plates vs huge plates.part of it apparent to context, ns vs he/they or past tense vs present/future tensebut additionally some uniqueness in vocabulary and phrases
4. It appears there is very strong cohesiveness from Mosiah come Alma, i m sorry starts to erode a tiny starting v Helaman.
5. Obvious distinctiveness in the war chapters v war vocabulary and much less references to God.
6. Helaman come 3 Nephi 11, sometimes correlating come the front Mos-Alma however sometimes breaking off v a different trend.
7. Messiness in the parts 3 Nephi 11 to Ether and Ether to the end, sometimes looking unique, sometimes correlating to the rest of the large plates.
8. Much more analysis is needed here, however it appears there space three unique groupings in ~ the tiny plates: native 1 Nephi 1 to 1 Nephi 13, indigenous 1 Nephi 14 come Jacob 4, from Jacob 5 come the finish of the small plates. This can be a most things: for example Nephi voice vs Jacob voice or rigid of the beginning component of Nephi compared to prophesying and sermons of the last part of Nephi.
9. There’s distinct crossover in between Moroni’s voice and also Nephi’s voice, specifically comparing Nephi’s last part to Moroni.
The orange currently coincide with 1. Helaman 1, 2. 3 Nephi 11, 3. Ether 1, 4. 1 Nephi 1, 5. 1 Nephi 13, 6. Jacob 5.
did: this chart mirrors the circulation of words “did”, smoothed per the explanation above, starting with Mosiah 1 going to the end of the book, restarting v 1 Nephi and going v Words the Mormon.
See more: Each Project Should Be Judged Against, A The Specific
restating this because it will be very confusing if you miss out on this: I determined to order these after the priority the Mosiah theory that shows that Joseph Smith, after losing the 116 pages, retained going starting with Mosiah, and also then went ago after finishing Moroni, and also started over through 1 Nephi.